The end of November & beginning of December brought a lot of rapid fire changes to the living room area. It was an area that basically remained stagnant from when we finished the painting and ripping up the floor. We filled it with furniture we already owned and went on with life.
Here’s what it looked like at our first walk thru. When we “fell in love” with our diamond in the rough.
Gross carpet, ugly blinds, brassy fireplace cover. But also- beautiful fireplace, huge window, great bones.
Now here it is on Thanksgiving Day 2012 (about 9 months later)
So what’s changed in the last 9 months? Well the obvious – it’s been painted and the carpet was ripped out. We put our own furniture in it. But also, Kevin used high heat paint (its actually marketed for a grill – Rustoleum makes it) in flat black to paint the fireplace cover. How much better is that? Seriously amazing.
We have a lot of plans for this space. All in all from the wall in the left of the photo to the window is about 12 feet. From the fireplace to the wall that I am standing beside when I took this picture is either 19 or 20 feet. I don’t remember exactly. So with where the couch is the living room is about 12×10 roughly.
Here’s the living room plans-
Paint fireplace grate
- Buy new curtains
- Possibly buy a new more fashionable blind
- Buy an area rug
- Box out the windows hidden in this photo
- Probably buy a new couch
- Build built-ins on each side of the fireplace that are mantel height & the TV can be hidden in
- Paint the trim glossy white
- Paint the front door (can’t see it here)
- Mount the artwork (I made that) above the fireplace (it’s just leaning in this picture)
- Pare down on the houseplants. (actually we accidentally killed them.. so that was an easy step…unfortunately)
It’s basically a whole whole bunch of buying. So that’s why it’s coming along slowly.
Luckily though, a lot of this list was knocked off over Thanksgiving weekend… Thanks Billionaire (thats what I call my father-in-law, Bill)!